All lessons will be taught via Zoom until further notice.
I am an active performer and dedicated music educator who provides quality private voice lessons to singers from San Diego, CA to Anchorage, AK. I coach professional singers looking to reach a new level of polish and musicianship, as well as beginners ready to explore the voice and music. I am here to help you achieve your goals through hands-on, individualized lessons tailored to your unique voice and interests.I specialize in teaching classical vocal technique and a solid understanding of the vocal mechanism. In addition to classical technique and repertoire, I coach students in a variety of styles: musical theater, blues, contemporary commercial music, country, folk/singer-songwriter, and extended vocal techniques. A foundation in healthy technique will support a world of expressive potential. All styles, skill levels, and ages 10 years and above are welcome!
- Build the foundation of good singing by learning correct posture, breath support, and tension-free voice production.
- Become familiar with the anatomy and workings of the vocal mechanism.
- Develop more advanced technical skills including register blending, placement & resonance, articulation, vocal agility and more.
- Strengthen musicianship skills such as note reading, rhythm, phrasing, harmony, and dynamics.
- Exercise the skills necessary to perform as a soloist, including song interpretation, diction, projection, and stage presence.
- Learn to diagnose and correct vocal faults by recognizing bad habits and designing solutions.
Each lesson begins with a vocal warm up and technique work followed by detailed repertoire and performance coaching. Technical exercises tailored to your voice and progress are designed to help you grow efficiently and healthfully. Alongside developing healthy and sustainable singing habits, you will gain the tools to analyze and adjust your voice during your own practice. My approach is to provide you with plenty of hands-on guidance while you develop a thorough understanding of your unique instrument.
Every singer needs individualized instruction, unfortunately, there is no easy formula to train a voice or fix vocal problems. Because there is no single pedagogical approach to help a student become a consummate singer, I use a variety of teaching methods. Foremost, my teaching is influenced by traditional Bel Canto practices and body alignment and somatic practices such as The Alexander Technique. I also draw upon my own PhD research into the psychology and philosophy of the voice and the dynamics of authority and agency that manifest in its use. I strongly believe it is important to understand and address the psychology and physiology of the voice and its relationship with other systems of the body that are essential to good singing: our whole body is our instrument, not just our larynx alone!
Please feel free to email me directly or schedule an appointment below:
Click to set custom HTML